RS601 – Sermon Preparation and Delivery-Rabbi Rich Nichol
Instructor: Rabbi Richard Nichol, D.Min.
Location: Orbund (server11.orbund.com)
Dates: Dec. 23, 2018–Feb. 24, 2019 (Winter Quarter, 2018-2019)
The Messianic Jewish leader is a communicator. This course teaches the skills necessary for effective sermon preparation and delivery, as well as effective communication skills appropriate to other settings.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM
This course is required for the MRS degree and is an elective for Jewish Studies students.
Messianic Jewish rabbis and lay leaders are expected to become good communicators whether they are religious professionals or not. This course is intended to facilitate this goal.
Students should have a computer with a camera and Zoom app.
Weekly lectures and discussions via webcasts will be augmented with public speaking assignments to be completed in the student’s home congregation and presented during class. Each class session meets for two hours on Sundays at 4pm EST from Dec. 23-Feb. 10.
1. All required reading
2. Preparation and preaching three messages followed by evaluation by a focus group
3. A homiletics diary – see below
4. Attendance of all class sessions
5. Evaluation of Speakers’ sermons
- Jenson, Richard. Thinking In Story. Lima: CSS Publishing, 1995.
- Robinson, Haddon. Biblical Preaching. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1980.
- The Art of Storytelling by The Great Courses, Narrated by Professor Hannah B. Harvey
- Two sermons by Dr. Martin Luther King
- Abrams, Elliot. Faith or Fear. New York: The Free Press, 1997.
- Greidanus, Sidney. The Modern Preacher and the Ancient Text. Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press, 1988.
- Sosland, Henry A. A Guide for Preachers on Composing and Delivering Sermons. New York: The Jewish Theological Seminary of New York, 1987.
- Soulen, R. Kendall. The God of Israel and Christian Theology. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1996.
- Telushkin, Rabbi Joseph. Jewish Humor. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc., 1992.
- Teplitz, Rabbi Saul. The Best of the Best Jewish Sermons. Middle Village: Jonathan David Publishers, Inc., 1996.